internal/interinstitutional/inter-agency/external notice of vacancy
Cedefop invites applications for the drawing up of a reserve list for the position of:
Permanent post AD 8/ AD 9)
The European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (Cedefop) is an Agency of the European Union. It provides information on and analysis of vocational education and training systems, policies research and practice. As the European Union's reference centre for vocational education and training, Cedefop provides services for the European Commission, the European Union Member States and the social partners as well as for the associated countries of Norway and Iceland. The Candidate Countries are also associated with its activities. Cedefop is based in Thessaloniki, northern Greece. For more information on the Agency, see http://www.cedefop.eu.int
Cedefop is recruiting an Internal Auditor with the following profile:
Responsibilities and tasks
Reporting to the Director the successful candidate will be responsible to develop a range of services establishing and maintaining the agency Internal Audit Capability. The internal auditor will work independently and will be in sole charge of this new function. Nevertheless she/he will have to build positive and co-operative working relationships with colleagues from the various areas and services. She/he shall be responsible for:
- Identifying risks and evaluating adequacy of internal control
- Determining the most appropriate procedures (including financial and operational)
- Examining whether resources are used efficiently and economically and achieving effective results
- Examining the measures taken to safeguard assets
- Undertaking financial checks to examine the probity of expenditure
- Examining the legality of budgetary and financial operations
- Examining the reliability and integrity of information systems
- Identifying key controls and evaluating their efficiency and effectiveness
- Providing advice and guidance to the Director and Cedefop staff in order to improve compliance with Internal Control Standards
- Analysing and appraising pertinent data to formulate an objective opinion on system/performance
- Presenting findings and recommendations
- Following up and reviewing corrective actions taken by management
- Be a national of one of the EU Member States;
- Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is four years or more
or a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma and appropriate professional experience of at least one year when the normal period of university education is at least three years
- Have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Communities.
Prospective applicants will be assessed against the following competences and skills
- University degree in management, economics, audit, business administration or a related field
- In addition to the above, professional experience of:
- minimum 9 years for grade AD 8;
- minimum 12 years for grade AD 9.
- A minimum of 5 years experience as internal auditor;
- Certification from an internationally recognised Internal Audit/Accounting body and professional qualification to act in accordance with the internationally established professional internal auditing standards;
- A good command of English and a working knowledge of French;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to produce high quality written material in English;
- Capacity to summarise complex issues and convey key messages efficiently;
- Good ability to listen and build positive and cooperative working relationships with other units and colleagues;
- Excellent intellectual and problem-solving and judgment skills and a capacity to make sound, logical and well-argued judgments;
- Excellent ability to deliver results and manage work, both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to operate standard computer applications, including spreadsheets, databases, and internal audit automated tools;
- Proven capacity to work under pressure and independently.
The following characteristics will be considered as additional assets
- Good knowledge of EU institutional framework;
- Good knowledge of EU institutional and regulatory framework and in particular of the EU public administration reform;
- Good Knowledge of EC Financial Regulation and audits practices;
- Good knowledge of administrative, financial, and control procedures;
- Experience of working in a multicultural environment.
The initial contract is for a duration of four years. In the case of officials, an initial temporary contract may give rise to a transfer to Cedefop.
The terms of employment are those described in the Staff Regulations of the European Communities and in the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (cf. articles 8 to 50a referring to temporary staff).
The basic monthly salary of a temporary agent AD 8 (step 1) amounts to EUR 5.680,34. The basic monthly salary of a temporary agent AD 9 (step 1) amounts to EUR 6.426,94.
The salary is subject to a salary weighting (currently 93.0%) but free of national taxation. In addition, Cedefop offers attractive benefits in line with the Staff Regulations.
Recruitment will take place under the condition that corresponding budget appropriations and a vacant post are available.
Cedefop applies a policy of equal opportunities and takes care to avoid any form of discrimination.
Eligibility of applicants will be assessed according to compliance with all formal requirements by the closing date for the submission of applications. Selected applicants may be invited for written tests and/or interview.
Submission of applications
A detailed curriculum vitae (preferably European format: see www.cedefop.eu.int
) certificates, recommendation letters and a cover note should be sent by post to the following address:
European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training
c/o J. Kiorpelidou
PO Box 22427 - Finikas
GR- 55102 Thessaloniki
Candidates are kindly requested to send four copies (one original + 3 copies) of their application in order to facilitate the selection process. The four copies should be sent as separate sheets, without stapling or binding.
In order to be considered, applications must be received by the closing date for submission and clearly quote on the envelope the vacancy reference number.
Reference number: 4312/18/2006
Applications should be sent by registered post no later than 15 June 2006 at 23:59 Central European time (date of post registration).
Applications must be sent in an official Community language, preferably accompanied by a translation in English, French or German where necessary.