internal/interinstitutional/inter-agency/external notice of vacancy
Cedefop invites applications for the drawing up of a reserve list for the position of:
Head of Finance and Procurement
(AD 10/ AD 11)
The European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (Cedefop) is an Agency of the European Union. It provides information on and analysis of vocational education and training systems, policies, research and practice. As the European Union's reference centre for vocational education and training, Cedefop provides services for the European Commission, the European Union Member States and the social partners as well as for the associated countries of Norway and Iceland. The Candidate Countries are also associated with its activities. Cedefop is based in Thessaloniki, northern Greece. For more information on the Agency, see http://www.cedefop.eu.int
Cedefop is recruiting a Head of Finance and Procurement with the following profile:
Responsibilities and tasks
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the Finance and Procurement Service of the Centre, which comprises about 10 staff. This service is part of the Administration, Area E. This Area is managed by the Deputy Director and also contains the Human Resources Service, the Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) Department, and the Brussels office of the Centre.. The Centre in total has a staff of about 130 persons and is subject to the staff regulations and the financial regulations of the European Union.
The Head of the Finance and Procurement Service will, in particular, be responsible for:
Financial Regulation, internal control and verification
He/she is accountable for:
- correct application of the financial regulations applicable to Cedefop and the provision of efficient services to the other departments of the Centre and the Directorate;
- correct implementation of the budget and contribution to the preparation of the estimates of the revenue and expenditure of Cedefop
- definition and implementation of the most appropriate procedures in relation to the budgetary and payment cycle as well as to procurement and contract management;
- publication and implementation of procedures;
- provision of the necessary input to the Director and Cedefop staff in order to ensure compliance with the Internal Control Standards
- regular, timely and accurate recording of the financial transactions;
- identification of risks and the application of adequate levels of internal control as regards the financial circuit and budget execution as well as procurement under his/her responsibility;
- checks on financial verifications.
Reporting and coordination
- regular reporting to the Management (directorate, heads of area, management team meetings) on financial issues, including budget execution, procurement, contract management and cost control ;
- preparation of the required reports to the Bureau and Governing Board as well as to the European Commission, the European Parliament and the European Council.
- cooperation with the external and internal auditors and preparation of the necessary data and reports;
- coordination of the service's objectives and tasks with the other services in Area E, reporting to the Head of the Area E and responsibility for the quality of the services provided to the other areas.
Management of the human resources in the service
- objective setting for the service in coordination with the general objectives of the Centre and the Area;
- allocation of tasks and development of the team;
- ensuring the efficient and economic use of resources in her/his service;
- reporting on the personnel in her/his service (evaluation of performance, reporting in the career development process, support the development of individual team members, individual objective setting, performance control, etc.).
- analysis, evaluation and application of new electronic and managerial tools, e.g. management information systems, migrations to new financial software, developing activity-based accounting, developing appropriate budgeting, recording and automation of procurement procedures and contract management.
- Be a national of one of the EU Member States;
- Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is four years or more
or a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma and appropriate professional experience of at least one year when the normal period of university education is at least three years;
- Have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Communities;
- Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the laws on military service.
Prospective applicants will be assessed against the following criteria
Education, knowledge and experience
- University degree in management, economics, accounting, business administration or law;
- In addition to the above, working experience in the field of finances and/or procurement of:
- minimum 12 years for grade AD 10
- minimum 15 years for grade AD 11.
- Management experience of at least 3 years in a combination of finance and procurement. Audit experience in the public sector of at least 4 years will be accepted as equivalent;
- Working experience of at least 5 years in a European organisation subject to the financial regulations.
Professional competences and skills
- Excellent ability to deliver results and manage work independently or as part of a team;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and a capacity to make sound, logical and well-argued judgments;
- Capacity to summarise complex issues and convey key messages efficiently;
- Ability to adjust fast to changes, to continuously keep up with new developments and to learn;
- Good ability to listen and build positive and cooperative working relationships with other units and colleagues;
- Excellent ability to manage people and conflicts;
- Proven capacity to work under pressure and independently.
- Good command of English, including the ability to produce high quality written material, and a working knowledge of French;
- Excellent ability to operate standard computer applications.
The following characteristics will be considered as additional assets
- Excellent knowledge of EU institutional and regulatory framework and in particular of the EU public administration reform;
- Excellent knowledge of EC Financial Regulation and audit practices;
- Excellent knowledge of accrual accounting rules (IPSAS norms) and Activity Based Budgeting.
The contract has an initial duration of 4 years. In the case of officials, an initial temporary contract may give rise to a transfer to Cedefop.
The terms of employment are those described in the Staff Regulations of the European Communities and in the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (cf. articles 8 to 50a referring to temporary staff).
The basic monthly salary of a temporary agent AD 10 (step 1) amounts to EUR 7.271,67. The basic monthly salary of a temporary agent AD 11 (step 1) amounts to EUR 8.227,42.
The salary is subject to a salary weighting (currently 93.0%) but free of national taxation. In addition, Cedefop offers attractive benefits in line with the Staff Regulations.
Recruitment will take place under the condition that corresponding budget appropriations and a vacant post are available.
Cedefop applies a policy of equal opportunities and takes care to avoid any form of discrimination.
Eligibility of applicants will be assessed according to compliance with all formal requirements by the closing date for the submission of applications. Selected applicants will be invited for written tests and/or interview.
Submission of applications
A detailed curriculum vitae (preferably using the European format: see www.cedefop.eu.int
) certificates, recommendation letters and a cover letter should be sent by registered post to the following address:
European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training
c/o J. Kiorpelidou
PO Box 22427 - Finikas
GR- 55102 Thessaloniki
Candidates are kindly requested to send four copies (one original + 3 copies) of their application in order to facilitate the selection process. The four copies should be sent as separate sheets, without stapling or binding.
In order to be considered, applications must be received by the closing date for submission and clearly quote on the envelope the vacancy reference number.
Reference number: 4312/17/2006
Applications should be sent by registered post no later than 14 July 2006 from date of publication at 23:59 Central European time (date of post registration).
Applications must be sent in an official Community language, preferably accompanied by a translation in English, French or German where necessary.